Rattan garden furniture comes in all shapes and sizes due to its popularity in the UK. It is no real surprise therefore, that you can purchase a rattan dining set for your garden so that you can enjoy eating outdoors through the warm summer months!
Rattan is a perfect option for many garden lovers, as it is going to be durable and long lasting, but also offer a real natural look in your garden. The rattan vine is one of the strongest types of wood that there is, so providing it is treated well there is no reason why it should not last for at least 10-20 years in your garden! In saying this, we have found many pieces of furniture that last even longer! It can withstand sun, rain and wind – whilst still fitting in perfectly in your garden. What more could you want?
It is important to remember that rattan and wicker are two different things. Many manufacturers advertise PVC rattan furniture – but this is actually not possible. Rattan is the type of wood which is used and suggests a high-quality, durable piece of outdoor furniture. Wicker is the weave that is used with rattan to create the threaded design that we know so well!
So if you are wanting to add a rattan dining set to your outdoor area – look no further.
Best Pick – Outsunny 11PC Rattan Garden Furniture
- SPACE-SAVING DESIGN: The outdoor dining set with chairs and stools nest neatly under the table for compact storage when not in use. - room to bring everybody together outdoors.
- NOT EASY TO FADE: The garden dining set is made from high quality, durable PE rattan, fully weatherproof & UV resistant so will not fade in the sun.
- REMOVABLE CUSHIONS: The rattan dining sets are complete with cushions which are with zipped covers, can be removed and washed.
- VARIOUS OCCASIONS: The rattan table and chairs set offers total flexibility and can be easily moved to suit any occasion, looking at home in any garden, conservatory or sun room.
- Note: This set is divided into multiple boxes, may be delivered at different times.
In A Hurry?
If the lovely summer weather is quickly catching up with you, or maybe you are wanting to get a good deal on a rattan dining set whilst out of season! Whatever your reason for being in a hurry to purchase your rattan dining set – we are here to help. We have included all the essential information that you could need right here.
Why Rattan Dining Sets?
Rattan is an incredibly durable material, it is so durable in fact that (unlike many other natural materials) it doesn’t require any preservatives, staining, varnish, oils etc. to remain strong and looking like new for years! This makes it a fantastic choice for a dining set as you won’t need to worry about treating it twice a year like you would your decking or fence panels! Plus no paint stained pants after not waiting quite long enough for the paint to dry!
Not only this, but it is incredibly easy to clean. You can simply wipe down your rattan furniture with warm water then leave it to dry naturally!
There are some extra aspects you can check for to make your rattan dining set last even longer…
- Weave – There are so many different weaves that are used with rattan furniture. This largely comes down to personal preference on the design and style that you want but is also going to affect the durability of the product. A tighter weave is going to offer more strength and be more hard wearing.
- Synthetic rattan – If you feel that natural rattan isn’t for you then you could always consider opting for synthetic rattan. This is going to be made from different plastics and other synthetic materials to provide a durable, weatherproof rattan effect.
- PE and HDPE are going to be the two strongest types of rattan that you can choose. They are mould-resistant, weatherproof and strong – plus manufactured in an environmentally friendly way…what more could you want?
Size of Rattan Dining Sets
By far the first thing you need to consider is the size of the rattan dining set that is going to be right for you and your garden. Some of them can be really quite large which is amazing for entertaining if you have the space but otherwise they could take up just that little bit too much space! Think about the amount of chairs that you need – most rattan dining sets come with 4 or 6 chairs although there are larger models with 8 chairs if you have the space! There are also smaller models with just 2 chairs if you are looking for something smaller and more intimate.
Some rattan dining set are particularly compact and less than a metre in length, whereas others are considerably larger at nearly 3 metres, so it really depends on the space that you have available and the space at a dining table that you need!
TOP TOP: Look to see whether you can buy individual chairs as this would give you the option to add extra matching chairs should you need them!
Design of Rattan Dining Sets
The design of your rattan dining set really comes down to personal preference but there are some particular aspects worth considering. One of the main things is whether you would like a glass top to your table. Although this is going to slightly affect the natural effect of the rattan it is going to make your table much more practical and easy to use thanks to the flat surface! It is also much easier to clean and will protect the top layer of your table which is going to be the most exposed to the weather. However, it is important to make sure the glass is shatterproof to keep you and your family safe as accidents can happen!
If you are wanting to push the boat out then why not consider a rattan dining set with an integrated fire pit or gas burner? These add a fantastic effect to the dining table plus will add warmth and light to your eating area which is perfect for those cooler summer evenings! If this sounds appealing then make sure to check for whether your dining set is gas powered or if you are going to need to purchase logs for the pit. Not only that but check that there is a quality guard around the fire to keep younger children safe (and your belongings that are on the table!).
If you are wanting that extra comfort then look whether your rattan dining set comes with cushions for the seats or not! As amazing as rattan is, it is a hard material so probably not the most comfortable to sit on for extended periods of time, however by simply adding garden cushions, you transform your chairs into comfortable pieces of furniture! It is important to make sure that these cushions are going to have some level of weatherproof qualities – in case you are caught out with bad weather or forget to bring them in one night! The quality of “weatherproofness” that you go for will determine whether your cushions can stay out all year or whether they are going to need somewhere to be stored when not in use!
Best Budget – CHRISTOW Rattan Effect Garden Furniture
- 7-PIECE REPLICA RATTAN DINING SET: Dine outdoors in style with this contemporary dining set from Christow. 6ft table and 6 matching chairs are made from tough blow-moulded plastic which is textured to resemble the intricate weave construction of real rattan furniture.
- STRONGER & EASIER TO CLEAN THAN REAL RATTAN: Replica rattan material won't warp, sag, dry, or fade like real rattan. It's far more durable than real rattan and easier to clean and maintain. Simply give it a quick wipe with a damp cloth to remove stubborn marks and staining.
- FOLDING POWDER-COATED STEEL LEGS: Legs are made from heavy-duty steel with a powder-coated finish for enhanced rust-resistance. Table legs feature slide locks for superior stability. Chairs fold flat and table folds in two with a handle to easily pick up and carry around.
- SIMPLE TO STORE WHEN SUMMERTIME IS OVER: Real rattan furniture is big, bulky and difficult to store away, which is why many people leave it outside all year round and run the risk of it fading. Because the table and chairs fold flat, they're easy to store in a shed or garage.
- TABLE SIZE: L178cm x W74cm x H72cm. FOLDED: L89cm x W74cm x D8.5cm. SIZE OF CHAIRS: H82cm x W40cm x D40cm (to top of backrest). Weight capacity of table: 100kg. Capacity of chairs: 120kg. PLEASE NOTE: Surface material is replica rattan, not real rattan.
Extra Things to Consider
So you have seen the best rattan dining set on the market at the moment, plus some of the main features you need to consider. Now here are some of those extra aspects that we found when reviewing some of the rattan dining sets.
- Compact design – If you are short of space then it may be a good idea to opt for a “box design” rattan dining set. These are usually square shaped and have chairs that slot under the table when they are not in use! This is a great way to maximize the space that you have available on your patio.
- UV Protection – As amazing as rattan is, the different colourants that are used aren’t going to be quite as good as the material itself. For this reason, look out for rattan dining sets with UV protected coatings as this will stop the colour from fading after they have been out in the sun for a long time.
- Powder coated frame – The frame of your rattan dining set is just as important as the rattan itself, as without a strong frame the rattan is going to have nothing to work around! You will usually find that this is made out of metal, so make sure that this is powder coated as this will protect it from rust for many years. Aluminium is going to be the best frame material as it is strong and free from rust!
- Colour – Another benefit of opting for rattan furniture is that there is a wide range of colours to choose from, whether you are wanting something natural or something that will stand out a little more! Darker colours are going to hide the dirt much easier but these are going to be more prone to colour fade if left out in the sun.
- Parasol – Chances are you will be wanting to use your rattan dining set over those summer months, which is fantastic but unless it is placed under an awning of some sort you are going to be exposed to the summer sun. Check whether your dining set comes with a parasol or at least space for a parasol to be inserted so that you have the option of shade in the height of the heat!
- Covers – If you are wanting your rattan dining set to last as long as possible then we would consider choosing a set that includes covers, or at least has these as optional extras! This is going to massively increase the life of your dining set, by protecting it not only from adverse weather but also from the sunlight when they are not being used. Not just this, but it means you can guarantee your chairs and table will be clean and ready to use as soon as you need them!
- Under table storage – Depending on the style of table that you choose to go for, you may be able to find one that has storage under the stable. This can be perfect for SO much – whether it be a gas canister if you have chosen a table with a burner, or your cushions from your chairs or even just your outdoor tableware!
- Easy Storage – Rattan dining sets are going to be harder to store than other outdoor furniture as they cannot be “folded away” over those winter months as other outdoor furniture can be. We would recommend checking whether the legs of the table can be detached, or if there are any other “easy store” features to make your life easier over those winter months if you are planning to pack your table away as this is easier said than done!
Looking to add to your rattan set and have a full matching design in your garden? We have found some of the best rattan armchairs for if you are wanting a little more relaxation after you have finished eating at the table!
Best of the Rest
- NORTHERN IRELAND, SOUTHERN IRELAND & UK MAINLAND ONLY. Following post codes do not qualify for Shipping AB, DD, DG, FK, TD, TR, PA, PH, IV, KW, KY, HS - We also cannot deliver to Channel Island, Isle of Man, Isle of wight, scilly Isles, Scottish Highlands and Scottish Islands.
- Table:(H)710mm x (L)1670mm x (W)1100mm Chairs:(H)900mm x (W)530mm x (D)530mm Footstool:(H)360mm x (W)430mm x (D)430mm All Sizes Approx
- 6 x deluxe flip back armchairs (with 12 cushions) - 4 x rattan footstools (with 4 cushions) - 1 x table with tempered black glass top
- Weatherproof & UV light resistant rattan material - Requires assembly - Low maintenance - Builds into Compact Cube for Easy Space Saving.
- PLEASE NOTE - THIS SET IS DELIVERED ON A PALLET. DELIVERY IS USUALLY 3 - 5 WORKING DAYS. KERBSIDE DELIVERY ONLY
- STRONG PE RATTAN & WOOD-EFFECT TABLE TOP – durable, weather-resistant and requires little maintenance for all-summer outdoor use
- COMPLETE SET – Set includes a 3 seater sofa, 2 chairs, 2 stools and large dining table, complete with modern grey marl cushions. The perfect garden centrepiece for dining, relaxing, and entertaining
- WEATHER PROOF – With water resistant cushions, a synthetic wood-effect table top and weather resistant PE rattan wicker material, it is hardwearing, low maintenance and built to last.
- DIMENSIONS - Sofa - 73cm (H) x 170cm (W) x 64.5cm (D); Seat - 73cm (H) x 66.5cm (W) x 64.5cm (D); Stool - 46cm (H) x 40cm (W) x 40cm (D); Table - 67cm (H) x 144cm (W) x 74cm (D)
- Manufacturer 2 Year Warranty Included. Self assembly required, instructions included.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I leave my rattan dining set outside over winter?
Technically yes you can, but we wouldn’t advise it if you are wanting to get the most life from your rattan furniture as possible. Over winter months, make sure to store your furniture away if possible, or at least keep it on a roofed patio area. If this is not possible, then we would recommend opting for strong, durable covers that will keep the worst of the weather away from your furniture. Although rattan is weather-resistant, it is going to look more worn, more quickly if left outside over winter.
What warranty will come with a rattan dining set?
You will usually find around a 5 year warranty with most rattan dining sets although this is sometimes longer or shorter! Make sure to check exactly what the warranty covers, as often you will find that different parts of the furniture have different warranties. For example, the frame and rattan may have a different warranty to the glass top or the cushions.
Can I paint my rattan dining set?
We wouldn’t necessarily recommend painting your rattan furniture, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, this is going to affect the natural properties of the rattan and could affect how new your rattan furniture looks. Not only this, but because of the tight weaves that are used on rattan furniture, you could find that you struggle to paint every little corner of the furniture. If you are going to paint your rattan furniture then we would recommend using a spray paint and this will be the easiest way to access each nook of the furniture.
How do I maintain a rattan dining set?
Rattan dining sets need relatively little maintenance. We would recommend covering them through the worst of the weather to keep them protected and wiping them down through the summer months to remove any dirt and debris. They can be oiled if necessary which can add another layer of protection, but we have found they will last for years without needing this!